Dear Members and Friends of Basildon RFC
We have been busy over the last couple of weeks putting more of our long term infrastructure improvement plans into action. As promised in our last update, several more important projects have been carried out and completed. Before we go into the details, I would like to thank two people especially for their hard work and assistance in getting the recent projects done. They are our Bar Manager, Julie and our Membership Secretary Chris Knight. Between them they have invested a great deal of their own personal time, effort & commitment and I thank them both for it.
So, in no particular order:-
1. We have almost completed the redecoration of the hall, front of house and changing block.
2. We have installed additional floodlight heads to 4 of the posts to illuminate extra space on the 1st team pitch for training.
3. The new council pitch has been marked out and goal posts have been erected at Holy Cross giving us use of a total of 4 pitches, and also, we will shortly take delivery of keys to some of the changing rooms at the pavilion over there so we can shower and keep post pads there too.
4. Both our ‘home’ pitches have had further verti-drain and surface treatments and are now fully operational with drains re-instated.
5. The car park has been leveled once again and a top dressing of road scalping applied to get rid of pot-holes.
6. We are in the process of getting quotes for kitchen improvements which involve knocking through into the storage area and rebuilding the floors walls and ceilings, then purchasing and installing new equipment.
7. At the end of the month, there will be a machine called a ‘Jungle Buster’ coming to the club and clearing large amounts of the bush & scrub along the back and sides of the home pitches. This will increase the amount of space we have and stop us losing so many match balls up trees and in bushes.
8. It’s a very BIG Welcome to our new Club Primary Sponsors, Solicitors Paul Robinson LLC. Senior Partner Sam Robinson, head of marketing Natalie Pavelin and the gang from Paul Robinson will be at various functions to be held at our club throughout the year. You will notice various areas throughout the club with the Paul Robinson LLC Brand and all our senior playing shirts have the Paul Robinson brand proudly displayed.
9. You will also notice we have installed assorted new Pitchside advertising boards. Again as always, we are sincerely grateful to all the various sponsors that have come forward with their kind donations.
In our Youth section, the mini section has been busy raising funds, (over £1,000 during the holidays) led by Gavin Scott, and the new Academy has had a successful first game at U16, beating league 1 opponents Chelmsford. The Academy is also running a major fund raising event on October 6th, which will have former Wasps & England Prop Jeff Probyn as guest speaker, kindly paid for by Gary Brand of A&B Taxis. It also must be said that the youth section of the club has never been stronger or more popular – A BIG thank you to Gavin Kirkham & Dusty Hare for all their hard work on recruitment in schools.
At a senior level we have played our first league games, unfortunately our First XV & 3rd XV suffered losses, but out Development XV had a very impressive win at Home to SW Ferrers. We have successfully recruited a significant number of new players to our club, retained our current coaching & management team (Mark Farrell has been appointed to Director of Senior Rugby) and we have had a very successful & positive preseason. The recruitment drive has ensured that this season we have strong squads in the Development squad and our 3rd team, on the whole things in Senior rugby look very promising. Thank you in particular to Mark Farrell for all of the hard work he has put in over the summer break.
Socially the club is doing well with bar takings at record levels over summer (normally a difficult time for the club in terms of finance). Last week, led by Danie and Joan Bothma, we held a very successful club BBQ and Disco and next week we will host our first VP lunch of the season.
All in all a very good start to the 2018-19 Season – let’s hope our success continues throughout the season ahead.
Basildon RFC Committee.
Updated 14:45 - 12 Sep 2018 by Mark Farrell
Your Town Your Home Your Club